Inuvialuit Game Council (IGC)
The Inuvialuit Game Council (IGC) was incorporated as a Society under the NWT Societies Ordinance on April 20, 1983. Under the Inuvialuit Final Agreement (IFA), the IGC represents the collective Inuvialuit interest in all matters pertaining to the management of wildlife and wildlife habitat in the Inuvialuit Settlement Region (ISR). This responsibility gives the IGC authority for matters related to harvesting rights, renewable resource management, and conservation.
The specific duties of the IGC are set out in Section 14(74) of the IFA. These duties include appointing Inuvialuit members for all Inuvialuit co-management bodies under the IFA and assisting these bodies whenever requested, advising government agencies, through the co-management bodies or otherwise, on renewable resource policy, legislation, regulation, and on any proposed Canadian position for international purposes that affects wildlife in the ISR. The IGC also allocates Inuvialuit quotas among the six ISR communities and appoints members for any co-management body dealing with Inuvialuit fish and wildlife harvesting and environment.
The IGC is comprised of a chair and two representatives appointed by each Hunters and Trappers Committee (HTC) in the six ISR communities which are Aklavik, Inuvik, Holman, Paulatuk, Sachs Harbour, and Tuktoyaktuk. The Chair can be from any of the six communities and is elected by all 42 HTC Directors.
The following schematic shows the relationship between the HTCs, the IGC, the co-management bodies, and the various government agencies.
Additional reference materials available from the IGC
- Bailey, John L, Norman Snow, Andy Carpenter, Larry Carpenter. 1995. Cooperative Wildlife Management under the Western Arctic Inuvialuit Land Claim in… Integrating People and Wildlife for a Sustainable Future. pp11-15. (Available at IGC Office)
- Carpenter, Andy, Bruce M.V. Hanbidge, and Richard M. Binder. 1991. Co-management of wildlife in the western Canadian arctic, An Inuvialuit perspective. 13pp. (Available at IGC Office)
- Inuvialuit-Inupiat Polar Bear Management Agreement in the Southern Beaufort Sea. 2000. Signed by the Inuvialuit Game Council and the North Slope Borough Fish and Game Management Committee. Inuvik, NT. Canada 4pp.
- Inuvialuit-Inupiat Polar Bear Management Agreement in the Southern Beaufort Sea. An Agreement Between IGC, Inuvik, NT, Canada and NSB, Barrow, Alaska USA. 1988.
- Inuvialuit Game Council (IGC) and North Slope Borough Fish and Game Management Committee (NSB). 1988. Joint Secretariat, Inuvik, NT. 13pp. (Available at IGC Office)
- Inuvialuit Inupiat - Beaufort Sea Beluga Whale Agreement. 2000.
- Inuvialuit Game Council, North Slope Fish and Game Management Committee and Kivalina Whaling Captains Association. 3pp. (Available at IGC Office)
- Inuvialuit Game Council. 1995. Co-Management Regimes: An Approach to the Sustainable Development of Natural Resources in the Arctic. Joint Secretariat, Inuvik, NT. (Available at IGC Office)
- Inuvialuit Game Council. 1997. Submission to the House of Commons Standing Committee on the Environment and Sustainable Development Concerning Bill C-65, an Act Respecting the Protection of Wildlife Species in Canada from Extirpation or Extinction. Joint Secretariat, Inuvik, NT. 9pp. (Available at IGC Office)
- The Gwich'in Tribal Council, The Inuvialuit Game Council and the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation. 1992. Overlap Agreement Among the Gwich'in Tribal Council and the Inuvialuit Game Council and The Inuvialuit Regional Corporation. Inuvik, NT 27pp. & Annex's. (Available at IGC Office)
Inuvialuit Game Council
Joint Secretariat – Inuvialuit Renewable Resource Committees
P.O. Box 2120
Inuvik, NT, Canada X0E 0T0
Tel: (867) 777-2828
Fax: (867) 777-2610
|Hunters and Trappers Committees Contact Information
P.O. Box 133
Aklavik, NT, Canada XOE OAO
Tel: (867) 978-2723
Fax: (867) 978-2815
P.O. Box 161
Holman, NT, Canada XOE OSO
Tel: (867) 396-4808
Fax: (867) 396-3025
P.O. Box 1720
Inuvik, NT, Canada XOE OTO
Tel: (867) 777-3671
Fax: (867) 777-2478
P.O. Box 39
Paulatuk, NT, Canada XOE 1NO
Tel: (867) 580-3004
Fax: (867) 580-3404
Sachs Harbour HTC
P.O. Box 79
Sachs Harbour, NT, Canada XOE OZO
Tel: (867) 690-3028
Fax: (867) 690-3616
P.O. Box 286
Tuktoyaktuk, NT, Canada XOE 1CO
Tel: (867) 977-2457
Fax: (867) 977-2433